Batter waste smokes out fish & chippery

UPDATED 10.15AM: A bucket of ‘batter waste' which had caught fire sparked a callout to Maungatapu this morning.

Two fire crews from the Tauranga and Greerton stations were dispatched to what was initially believed to be a building fire at the Maungatapu Fish and Chips shop on Maungatapu Road.

However, New Zealand Fire Service Northern Communications shift manager Scott Osmond says it ended up being a very minor incident.

“It was a small fire in what is described as a bucket of batter waste which created a lot of smoke the filled the entire building, so there was no fire at all.

“We just ventilated the building and cleared out the smoke.”

Scott says aside from the superficial damage caused by the large amount of smoke, the building sustained no structural damage.


Fire crews are currently dealing with a building fire in Maungatapu this morning.

A witness at the scene says the fire broke out Maungatapu Fish and Chips shop in the block of shops on Maungatapu Road between Vine Ave and Anchorage Grove.

“It's pretty smoked logged, at one stage there was a ton of smoke pouring out of the building.

“About three crews have shown up and have been inside the shop, one of the guys brought out a bucket that was smoking.”

SunLive will update this story once more information is available.