Active Families Advisor
Sport Bay of Plenty
Participation in sport and physical activity enhances not only physical wellbeing, but reduces incidences of some forms of depression and anxiety. There is strong evidence showing that adults who regularly participate in some sort of physical activity see a 20-30% reduction in depression.
This also applies to children as we know that exercise and activity can help increase self-esteem and reduce depression, as well as regular play and activity can improve social skills and help young people form and maintain friendships.
Achieving a greater sense of health and wellbeing can be done in many ways, here are a few things that you and your family/whanau can try today:
- Limit screen time to less than 2 hours per day. Replace that time with an activity such as playing outside or going for a bike ride.
- Having regular bed times as well as 8 plus hours of sleep will help you stay energised throughout the day. Regular wake up times and a healthy breakfast will set you up for the day.
- 1 hour of rigorous physical activity a day, at least 3 times a week will help you to develop your muscles and improve your wellbeing.
- Join a sports team. Doing physical activity and making new friends will help raise self-esteem and fitness, leading to a greater sense of wellbeing.
- Eating a well-balanced diet of carbohydrates, fat and protein, as well as eating fruit and vegetables throughout the day will provide your body with enough energy to complete these activities to the best of your ability.
Our Green Prescription and Active Families programmes can help you and your family/whanau participate in more physical activity through sport and/or recreation, which can help to prevent and manage both physical and mental ailments. To find out more visit https://www.sportbop.co.nz/get-active/
For other ideas and information on what is available in the Bay of Plenty you can visit the ‘Get Involved’ section on the Sport Bay of Plenty website: www.sportbop.co.nz/get-involved/
Start your journey to a more active lifestyle and better health outcomes now!