Suspected Norovirus Outbreak in Bay

Public are asked not to visit the emergency department unless neccessary. File photo.

Precautionary measures remain in place after a suspected norovirus outbreak in the acute care unit at Whakatane Hospital

Acting Director of Nursing Rosalind Jackson says that as of midday there have been no new cases of suspected norovirus either in patients or staff at the unit.

 “The infection control measures put in place appear to have contained the outbreak but it's an ongoing situation and we are monitoring it closely,” says Rosalind.

The ACU is operating normally again however infection control measures remain in place, including isolating those who had previously shown symptoms.    

Public are being urged not to visit the hospital's Emergency Department unless their case is urgent.


There are no comments on this article.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now
Opinion Poll

What are your thoughts on the council’s proposal to increase rates 40 per cent over the next three years?

Good, it will help pay to revitilise the city
Not good, rates are high enough now
I’m ok with an increase, but maybe not such a big one

Bay Today

Penumbra on Sunday. Photo: Joan King.

Send us your photos from around the Bay of Plenty.