Creative Bay of Plenty is working with Keep New Zealand Beautiful and Chorus to get some beautiful art onto local telecommunications cabinets as part of the ‘Paint Your Cabinet Beautiful’ campaign.
It is an opportunity for four local artists to paint a cabinet each this March, with possibly more to come later this year.
“The Breeze Tauranga did a great job in helping us find a common theme for all cabinets that ties in with our region,” says Creative Bay of Plenty funding and empowerment advisor Lena Kovac.
The theme is ’Our Places and Faces’, with all artwork submissions needing to relate to this theme – by depicting someone well-known from Tauranga, or a significant (historically or otherwise) place in the city.
Interested artists are able to choose a cabinet of their liking from around the city. Chorus will pay the artist, fees range between $400 and $1500 depending on the size of the cabinet. Paint supplies are paid for and all other materials will be provided as well.
Submissions close on Monday February 26 at 5pm. All submissions will be handed over to Chorus and Keep New Zealand Beautiful to select four winning designs. Artists have until the end of March 2018 to paint the cabinets.
How to make a submission:
- Find a cabinet on Tauranga that you’d like to paint
- Note down the cabinet number (typically this can be found in the upper left-hand corner of the cabinet)
- Note down the size of the cabinet
- Develop a sketch of how you propose to paint the cabinet
- Email your sketch, the cabinet number and size to email@example.com