Two cases of measles have been confirmed in the Bay of Plenty and Lakes district.
But they are not linked to the outbreak in the Waikato.
Medical Officer of Health Dr Phil Shoemack says one case was notified on Thursday, the other 10 days ago.
“One of them contracted measles in the Philippines and it’s unclear where the other picked it up visiting a number of countries from Singapore to Japan,” he says.
“We are in the process of identifying people who have had close contact with the two patients and those who haven’t been vaccinated will be required to be quarantined.
“With the case identified yesterday, we are aware one person who was in close contact hasn’t been vaccinated and there may be more.”
Phil’s advice to anyone under 50 who haven’t been vaccinated, “get it done”.
You will need two doses to be immunised.
The Waikato District Health Board has declared a measles outbreak and is urging people in the region to get immunised.
The District Health Board has been notified of six cases of measles in the last week, with two of those cases going back to late December.
The DHB's chief medical officer of health, Dr Richard Hoskins says the DHB had been working with the families to find out where they might have contracted measles.
Measles can lead to complications such as pneumonia, seizures, and swelling of the brain, with about 20 per cent of measles cases resulting in hospitalisation.