Some homes in Hairini this morning are still without power after a transformer reportedly blew overnight.
About 56 properties are still in the dark this morning, according to the Powerco website.
Powerco reports that “damaged equipment” is the cause of the outage.
At about 10.30pm, more than 3000 home were left without power following a blown transformer in the area.
An Ohauiti resident saw the neighbourhood light up on Poike Road near Egmont St.
"The top of the power pole lit up in sparks, the entire neighbourhood was bright. The brightness extended so far cops turned up before anyone even rang them. It went on for about 15 seconds.
"Literally everyone came out of their houses. Fire trucks are now out there. People are saying that two went off."
Read more here.