The Easter weekend means family, friends and fun, however the SPCA are reminding pet owners to keep an eye on their furry friends around food.
The SPCA say many common treats and snacks people enjoy over the holidays can cause serious harm to pets.
Cats and dogs digest and metabolise food differently to humans, and if pets eat something dangerous, their owners are advised to call their local vet clinic immediately.
SPCA chief executive Andrea Midgen says chocolate needs to be kept away from dogs at all times, and people need to carefully monitor where chocolate is hidden when setting up an Easter egg hunt.
“Most people know that chocolate is dangerous for dogs, but there is actually an array of popular food ingredients that your pets bodies are not simply designed to eat.”
Chocolate contains chemicals theobromine and caffeine, which are toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities, and SPCA say a good rule of thumb is the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it will be for a dog.
The SPCA also advise keeping pets away from treats wrapped in tin foil, as there is a chance it can cause intestinal obstruction or bleeding.
“Pets can get into food and as they are inquisitive by nature, they will search out unusual scents, so owners should be extra vigilant this long when at home and when away.
“If you think your dog has ingested something they shouldn’t have, seek immediate veterinary treatment.”