Fertiliser spraying concerning some residents

File photo.

As summer months get closer, people in the rural areas of the Bay of Plenty region will start to notice farm owners will be fertilising their paddocks.

Some residents who back onto some rural properties have raised concerns whether they should be notified before the spraying for the fertilising takes place.

Bay of Plenty Regional Council urban, industry and response team leader Chris Brewer says before spraying agrichemicals from an aircraft, the occupiers of any adjoin properties within 200m should be notified at least 12 hours prior to spraying, unless an alternative arrangement is in place.

“Where agrichemicals are applied to land adjoining public roads and places, signs must be placed on the road boundary 24 hours before the time of application and removed by the applicator when safe for re-entry.

“Weather conditions and spray methods should always be chosen carefully to make sure that chemical spray does not drift beyond the boundary of the property being treated.

“See our website at www.boprc.govt.nz/environment/air/spraydrift for more spraydrift management guidelines and rules.

“If people are concerned about spraydrift they should report it to our 24/7 Pollution Hotline by calling 0800 884 883.”

You may also like...


Thanks Brykir

Posted on 11-10-2019 14:54 | By SonnyJim

Complaints from urban country folk is usually cows mooing or silage feed-outs, while they continue to plant poisonous boundary plants like oleander.

Fertiliser or Agrichemical spraying?

Posted on 11-10-2019 10:33 | By Brykir

This article talks about two different processes as if they are one. There is a big difference between non toxic fertiliser spreading and spraying agrichemicals. Notification is not usually required for fertiliser spreading, it is not generally sprayed but spread as a dry product.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now