A number of roads remain closed around the Coromandel as the downpour continues and people are being asked to delay travel.
The Metservice severe weather warning was extended this morning, with a further 60 to 90mm of rain forecast to accumulate on top of what has already fallen.
See below for the latest information on road closures across our district, which will also delay some of our rubbish collection services today, particularly in Whitianga. Pauanui's refuse transfer station is unable to open due to flooding on Hikuai Settlement Rd.
Thames Coromandel District Council Civil Defence Controller, Garry Towler continues to advise people to delay travel and to stay away from rivers and streams, with the high tide forecast for around 4:30pm today.
“People should not attempt to drive through floodwater under any circumstances,” Gary says.
"We have activated our Emergency Operations Centre, which will focus on contacting community response groups and our isolated northern communities, some of which have lost internet connection. If you have concerns about friends or relatives in those areas, contact us on 07 8680200."
Road closures include:
• SH25 Tairua to Hikuai (near the Tairua River Bridge and near Hikuai Settlement Road)
• SH25 Kuaotunu
• SH25 Whitianga to Tairua (Kaimarama)
• SH 25A Kopu to Hikuai - Due to a slip in this area, stop/go traffic management is in place. Delays of 5-10 minutes are possible.
Local Council district roads:
• Puketui Road
• Hikuai Settlement Rd (pictured above)
• Hotwater Beach Road
• Blackjack Road
• Tapu Coroglen Road
• Old Coach Road, Kaimarama
• Wentworth Valley Road
• Victoria Street, Tararu - The slip is located close to 126 Victoria Street - just before the retreat.
• Bluff Road, Kuaotunu (We can’t access this until slips on the state highway are cleared)
• School Rd, Hikuai
The Thames Coast Rd is open, and The 309 Road is now also open.
Check NZTA's website for updates on state highway road closures.
If you need help with flooding in your area, please contact our customer services team on 07 8680200.