Homes evacuated after gas leak

Firefighters working to contain a gas leak at The Mount. Photos: Sam Gardner.

Homes in the Mount Maunganui area have been evaucated following a gas leak this afternoon.

Nothern Fire Communications shift manager Scott Osmond says firefighters have been called to a gas leak at Wells Court.

He says homes in the area have been evacuated as a precaution.

It’s understood contractors working in the area have stuck a gas main, causing it to rupture.

Firefighters are at the scene and contractors have been called to fix the main.

A reporter at the scene says there is a strong smell of gas in the air.

She says it’s so strong, it is giving her a headache.

"The gas contractor is here assessing everything and there are two fire trucks out."


0 Comments

There are no comments on this article.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now
Opinion Poll

Do you think the rise in tax will deter people from smoking?

Yes, it will be too expensive.
No, if people want to smoke, they will find a way to pay for it.
Depends on the person's available income.

VOTE
VIEW RESULTS