Trustees needed for Tourism Bay of Plenty
The coastal Bay of Plenty visitor economy is expected to grow from its current $1b per annum to a $1.45b sector by 2028. Tourism Bay of Plenty takes a lead role in enabling this growth in ways that benefit the whole community. Careful planning, investment and management will enable sustainable growth and provide long term benefits for the economic, cultural, environmental and social development of the destination.
Tourism Bay of Plenty has undergone significant transformation in the past two years. Its new Visitor Economy Strategy has been acknowledged as providing a national exemplar, with a shift in focus to the ‘whole of city’ aspects of destination management.
We are looking for two trustees to join the Board at this exciting time. Diversity of thinking is valued, and these trustees will typically have the following:
• governance experience: an understanding of governance best practice and ideally a member of the Institute of Directors New Zealand
• experience in the visitor economy, specifically digital marketing, customer experience/insights and/or technology at a governance or strategic advisory level
• strong industry links with local tourism operators and knowledge of the tourism industry in the coastal Bay of Plenty and New Zealand
• business and financial acumen and an understanding of the Tauranga business community and economic development agencies
• empathy with and an understanding of the cultural history of the region.
If you believe you have the skills to make a difference and a real contribution to Tourism Bay of Plenty and the tourism economy of the region, your interest in the position is welcomed.
As a council-controlled organisation of Tauranga City Council and Western Bay of Plenty District Council, Tourism Bay of Plenty operates autonomously but also in a political environment, with a requirement to meet the expectations of both its shareholders and its community in accordance with an agreed Statement of Intent.
Meetings are held bi-monthly in Tauranga, although alternative and additional meetings will be required. There is a small remuneration. Applicants should reside in the Western Bay of Plenty region, with a demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships within the business community and share local committee and industry responsibilities.
Expressions of interest should be addressed to:
Tauranga City Council
Private Bag 12022, Tauranga 3143
Apply online via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. An information pack is also available on request.
Applications close 5pm Wednesday, 27 November 2019. All applications will be dealt with in strictest confidence.