Van blaze sparks bush fire in BOP

Firefighters putting the van fire out. Photo: Matata Volunteer Fire Brigade.

Firefighters have been busy in the Bay of Plenty in the last couple of days, with multiple fire callouts.

On Monday, 16 fire appliances were called to a third alarm fire on Tip Lane, in the Mount Maunganui area.

Firefighters were originally call to a fire endangering a building at 5.20pm.

Upon arrival, they discovered large piles of pallets and a truck on fire.

A fire investigator is at the scene this morning to ascertain the cause of the blaze.

The blaze near Truman Lane on Monday. Photo: Daniel Hines/SunLive.

This is just one of a number of fire callouts for firefighters in recent days.

On Sunday night, crews were called to a fire in the dunes along Oceanbeach Road.

Twelve firefighters attended the fire at 12.10am.

The fire was reported to be 100m by 50m in size.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

On Saturday afternoon, more than 30 firefighters were called to a bush fire along the Matata Straights.

The fire was located near the railway tracks on State Highway 2.

The Matata Volunteer Fire Brigade was initially called, and requested for additional crews when they investigated the fire further.

Smoke coming from the fire along the Matata Straights. Photo: Matata Volunteer Fire Brigade Facebook.

“All tolled, we ended up with about 30 firefighters and six trucks on scene along with police and later road works crews to help keep traffic under control,” says a brigade spokesperson.

“The fire spread rapidly at first but after an hour or so of hard work, crews got the fire under control and crew continued with dampening down for another two hours.

“All in all it was a great effort by all crews to get this fire under control and we were all packed up and recommissioned our equipment by 8.30pm.

“FENZ are now investigating the cause of the fire with the assistance of the police.”

Just as the volunteer brigade was about to head to bed, the fire siren went up again for a bush fire 3km up Herepuru Road.

“A crew mounted MATA941 and again dispatched to the west of Matata.

“En-route we discovered that this was actually a car fire that had spread into vegetation.

“On the scene we found a Hiace van fully involved in flames, so our crew got to work in breathing apparatus and spent the next hour extinguishing the fire.

“Once out we cleaned up and were back home by 1am.”

You may also like...


There are no comments on this article.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now