13:54:55 Thursday 3 April 2025

Tauranga transport projects on track

The Pāpāmoa East Interchange is under construction. Photo / Tauranga City Council

On time, on budget and being delivered safely.

That was the message to Tauranga City Council’s city future committee yesterday on the progress of some of the council’s five major transport projects either under way or in the planning stages.

Construction of the Pāpāmoa East Interchange over the Tauranga Eastern Link, which is aimed at improving travel for the Pāpāmoa East community and enabling further development of the area, is on track to be completed next year with one of the northern (eastbound) exit/entry ramps being considered for early opening this year, the council said in a statement released today.

Forecasts also show an opportunity for $5 million to be saved on the cost of the project, which is budgeted for $79.3m in the long-term plan.

Importantly, as in any major construction project, there had been more than 80,000 worker hours on site to date without any serious harm incidents, the council said.

“This is exactly what we’re looking for – projects that are going to improve the social and economic wellbeing of our communities while offering value for money for our ratepayers and ensuring that our workers go home safe to their families every day,” committee chairman Rod Taylor said.

Tauriko and SH29

Tauriko Enabling Works, which is being led by NZ Transport Agency Waka Kotahi (NZTA) in partnership with the council, is also on track to be completed in early 2027.

The project will enable development of up to 2400 new homes in Tauriko West and will support continued development of more than 100ha of industrial land in the Tauriko Business Estate, expected to provide up to 6000 more jobs in the city.

Work is now under way at both the Redwood Lane and Tauriko Village/Cambridge Rd sites that intersect with State Highway 29, with more than 120,000 worker hours so far without any serious harm incidents.

People travelling through the area can expect to drive through the new roundabout at Redwood Lane, in a temporary layout, in early May.

“As well as the significant economic benefits that will come to our city through these works, we will see improved resilience on our busy transport network and safety upgrades that will reduce the likelihood of death and serious injury accidents on SH29,” Taylor said.

Fifteenth Ave project

Planning for the Fifteenth Ave to Welcome Bay project is full steam ahead following the NZTA decision in February to co-fund the next stage.

The next step is to confirm the structural capacity of the Hairini Bridge. The community will have another opportunity to give feedback as the design, which includes a three-lane tidal flow system over the Hairini Bridge, progresses.

Cameron Rd Stage 2

Funding is the hot topic for the other two projects in the major projects portfolio – Cameron Rd Stage 2 and Connecting Mount Maunganui – both of which missed out on NZTA co-funding in the 2024-27 National Land Transport Programme (NLTP).

Alternative funding options are being explored for Cameron Rd Stage 2, which proposes both transport and waters upgrades to prepare for increasing population growth on Te Papa peninsula and the western area of the city.

A report on this is planned to come back to the city future committee in May.

The committee resolved at yesterday’s meeting to also further explore external funding opportunities to advance the next phases of the Connecting Mount Maunganui project – which proposes improved safety and access to, from and through State Highway 2/Hewletts Rd, Totara St and Maunganui Rd – with a goal of having a detailed business case ready by early 2027 to support funding prioritisation in the 2027-30 NLTP.

Another report on this is expected to come back to the committee in July.

The council said Connecting Mount Maunganui is included as a priority project in the recent City and Regional Deals proposal to the Government and a submission is also being prepared for the project to be included on the NZ Infrastructure Commission’s Infrastructure Priorities Programme (IPP) and National Infrastructure Plan.

 

4 comments

Well there you go…..

Posted on 01-04-2025 10:49 | By Shadow1

…why did we give them feedback on the Hairini Bridge project when they appear to have decided on the tidal flow option. If ever there was an inferior option to a four lane bridge, this is it. Council should be buying up the road frontage houses on Turret Road and possibly the Silver Birch camping ground so they can do it properly!
It’s probably possible to widen both sides of the existing bridge after driving/pouring new piles.
If they think they can close the bridge for a year without annoying countless ratepayers, they’re delusional.
Shadow1.


Woke council

Posted on 01-04-2025 18:05 | By peter pan

Turret road could be easily fixed by getting rid of the trees.Why not whats the problem.


Just mocking like always

Posted on 02-04-2025 10:09 | By an_alias

On time and budget, come on as if that is anything any other business is required to do to survive. But apparently having an over budget estimate and actually doing it late but on there own timing is worthy of praise.
@ peter pan and @Shadow1, yep these project always ask for feedback but thats just noise to them. They have already decided and just say we have now consulted and based on the feedback we are doing what we had already decided. Let face it, were all morons and don't have a clue according to them.


Screwed by consultants

Posted on 02-04-2025 10:14 | By First Responder

So consultants have put hours into planning a Tidal Flow system, which by the way is only a bandaid. They've put no thought into a long term solution. However, the next step is to see if the bridge is structurally strong enough. Isn't that back to front? Most normal people would check the structural strength of something first. I firmly believe a new 4 lane bridge, with a new causeway behind the motor park, coming out at Burrows Street.


Leave a Comment


You must be logged in to make a comment.